Friday, October 2, 2009

September--Grandma's Delight

September found this Grandma doing what she loves doing most--being with her kids and grandchildren. Raquel was due to have her baby on August 30 and I was arriving on the 27th. Would I be in time for the birth? Would I rush to the hospital straight from the airport like I did for Natalie and Javan?

But, nope, Jacob Daniel decided that he wanted to be a September baby. His mom, Raquel, just wanted him out and into her arms. On September 3, Jacob Daniel Yarema made his debut into the world weighing 9 lbs, 5 oz. It is an overwhelming event to watch the birth of a grandchild. What a miracle! Jacob makes grandchild number eight for Ken and I. I have been a part of five of my grandchildren's births.

The month flew fast as I
  • just spent time enjoying my grandchildren and their parents,
  • became a substitute teacher for Natalie's kindengarden classes while Mom was busy with baby,
  • played with Javan while Mom was busy with Natalie's schooling or with Jacob and Daddy was working,
  • took my turn in holding, loving and trying to make Jacob smile for his vo (Portuguese for grandma),
  • walk with the kiddos to Donut Doughnuts for a treat,
  • woke early as Natalie and Javan summoned their vo to make coffee and give them cereal to hold them until breakfast.
  • did household chores so mom could rest.
The last week was special when Rebecka and her two youngest boys, Isaac and Noah, came to spend five days at the Yarema's.

Off to the zoo we went for a day.

The rest of the five days were spent letting the cousins play, learn to give and when to take, and enjoy each other.
I was great to spend the time with my two beautiful daughters and watch them interact with their children.

As I left for Brazil with mixed emotions. I wanted to stay and yet return to my beloved husband and to Kevin and his family.

Back in Sao Paulo,
Arlene

No comments: